  Train kept a'rollin'...
  That voodoo that we do...
  Day off in Munich...
  Last day in Germany
  London today, LA tomorrow ...
  Looking at you from Lowell

8/29/00 - Thinkin' of Lincoln

Dear Friends,

We got a call a few weeks ago asking it we would be interested in having a US Navy rock band open the show for us in Lincoln, Nebraska. I don't think anyone flinched before saying yes. After all, when does this opportunity come up? For us, this was a first, so last night when they took the arena stage and opened with "We're An American Band" there was a rush of STYX folk to get out there and see these guys in their white uniforms standing before our audience and I must say, kickin' it pretty dang hard. They new how to work the audience. I think everyone was impressed and this was no doubt a great image builder for anyone considering enlisting. STYX has always been and remains a big supporter of the men and women in the armed forces.

Honestly the whole day in Lincoln was a trip. I was able to tear myself away from the computer and all the finalizing of the cover art for the "Arch Allies" live CD we are releasing with REO next month, and get out to see the sights. Lincoln is a very happening place downtown, especially in the historic district. I ended up in a couple of pawn shops on my way back from there and found a beautiful mid-1960's Harmony 6-string acoustic, black and natural sunburst with 2 f-holes and bought it for a bus guitar. I spoke to Ben Kushner at another pawn shop and not only did he know Colin Keefe, lead singer of MS Funk, he used to work for a guitar store in LA which is owned by a neighbor of mine there! Frighteningly small world it is getting to be... I really enjoyed getting a feel for this town that I once hung out in as a member of the Funksters.

The concert was memorable in that the audience seemed quite prepared to sit and enjoy the show from their reserved seats on the main floor and all around the upper arena. But around the third song in the set, another person I had met when buying the guitar came marching up to the front of the stage on my side with a few of his lady friends. Little by little, the polite Linconlnites in their seats made up their minds that these were not going to be the only people who got close to the stage, and before we knew it, everyone was on their feet and the aisle in front of the stage was jammed with those who saw the opening and went for it. From then on out, if the crowd noise was on a chart, you would see the line go up at a 45 degree angle. I swear by the end of the evening, this did not seem like that same mild-mannered Nebraska audience we were quite content to be performing indoors for. Backstage, after the show, we could not stop reliving it, and when the crew came back we relived it again with them. What an unforgettable night!

Thank you Lincoln for the undeniable good time. We look forward to doing this again as soon as we can,

© 2000 STYX and ArtSite Design. All original photos in site design by MARK WEISS/ANGLES

Archived Website
www.styxworld.com
Changes made based on integrity of resources